03 June 2009

Irene: A True Inspiration


VICDA's Fearless Leader - Irene Wairimu Ngatia

I've been really excited lately.  I'm talking seven-years-old on Christmas morning excited.  As you can gather from previous posts, I'm heading back to Kenya at the end of August for a couple of months and this time I'm bringing a group of friends from Chicago along with me.  The plans for the trip are going really well and the "Wazungu Crew" are all really excited and anxious to get to Kenya and get to work.  I love introducing friends from different parts of my life to one another and I cannot wait to introduce my Chicago friends to my Kenya friends.  Namely the lovely lady seen above, Irene - or Mama Matatu as I've recently begun calling her.  Irene's contagious laugh, memorable one-liners and undying loyalty are just a part of what makes her remarkable.

With VICDA sponsored kids at Bethel Outreach in Kibera

Irene is the director of VICDA, the program in which I volunteered in 2006 and 2007.  She is a true inspiration to me and many others and has been instrumental in making a positive difference in the lives of Kenyans from every walk of life.  From the old and sick to the young and orphaned, and everyone in between, Irene has truly touched hearts, changed lives and given hope.  Please visit her blog and her website or follow her on twitter @vicda to learn more about VICDA's efforts and to see how you can get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment